Author Topic: We're back!  (Read 19020 times)

IronShaq

• Thank You
  • -Given: 765
  • -Receive: 290
Re: We're back!
« Reply #30 on: November 07, 2022, 10:03:07 am »
It's great you guys are back,I've missed you!

Petraik

• Thank You
  • -Given: 116
  • -Receive: 12
« Reply #31 on: November 07, 2022, 10:09:39 am »
I missey you sooo much.

Themanhimself

• Thank You
  • -Given: 142
  • -Receive: 52
« Reply #32 on: November 07, 2022, 11:21:24 am »
Welcome back all! Happy days!

les01

• Thank You
  • -Given: 6
  • -Receive: 0
« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2022, 02:12:33 pm »
I'm so glad you're back!!! Missed you!

Indy

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1291
  • -Receive: 11322
« Reply #34 on: November 07, 2022, 02:30:51 pm »
Why aren't you using a real data center? Hosting it using a residential connection seems very weird and problematic.

A fair question, but we have good reasons for it.
A 'real' data center has tons of limitations, compared to only a few advantages.

We did shared hosting in a datacenter once for TPB, but this was really very slow. As in 20x slower than running a dedicated server.
Running a dedicated server in a datacenter is very very expensive. Colocation is also expensive, but not as expensive as dedicated hosting, but it has the problem that you need to drive all the way over there if something is wrong.
The problem in all cases is: You have a contract, and it's very clear that piracy is a no-go.

Even though we don't do piracy over here (content is hosted elsewhere), not everyone sees it that way, least of all the copyright owners. Most just like to scream and harass us, and if they don't get their way, they will turn on our hosting provider. It happened multiple times. If you have a 'real' hosting contract, well.. byebye, your server gets deleted. With internet service providers, it's a different game. Kwuk and I both had the experience that those providers are actually on our side. They've asked us what's going on, we explained, and now they're actually helping us.

That just speaks for them, and we're grateful for how they approach this. That's why we choose to deal with that this way.
We did have our server in a datacenter before, as a VPS, this was really really slow. Especially when loading starmember images, because those were generated on the fly.
When we moved from a VPS to a dedicated (bare metal) server, the loading times went from 2 seconds to 0.1 second. Therefore, a dedicated server always has our preference.

A datacenter has high uptimes, and even an emergency generator to keep everything running, which is good.

Downsides though:
- Very expensive, the server that we're running TPB on cost us €1000. If I have to hire a dedicated server of the same capacity, it costs us €200 per month, and we wouldn't even have raid 5 storage backup storage. After 5 months, it would be more expensive than the server itself.
- Alternatively, you could do co-located hosting: You'd place your own server in a data center, you'd just pay for power and network. Which would still cost us €100 per month, and if something is wrong, we'd need to request access and drive half the country before we can get to it.
- In both cases, you'd still pay extra per GB of traffic used, and per Watt of power used (at premium levels)

- Most importantly: If someone claims you engage in piracy activity, they will take down your server, no questions asked. This is part of the hosting contract. Which is ironic, because we do not engage in piracy. Content his hosted elsewhere, but that has not stopped many people for trying. You see, many people just explode when they see content they think they own on another platform, unaware of how hosting works, how copyright and/or public domain works. It doesn't matter to them when they post a picture on Instagram, that
Our ISP's really take our side on this matter, they've got our backs, and I don't get the impression that hosting companies rather hide behind contracts.

That's why we choose to do things differently: cost and legal reasons.
I want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live.

kenchange555

• Thank You
  • -Given: 165
  • -Receive: 90
« Reply #35 on: November 07, 2022, 06:11:58 pm »
"Ten thousand years will give you such a crick in the neck"
"I'm telling you, nice to be back, ladies and gentlemen"

BobOFboobs

• Thank You
  • -Given: 526
  • -Receive: 292
« Reply #36 on: November 07, 2022, 06:22:59 pm »
After all these weeks without my silicone fix all implants now look bigger !

Welcome back!

slupper

• Thank You
  • -Given: 3371
  • -Receive: 567
« Reply #37 on: November 07, 2022, 07:49:03 pm »
LOL I just ordered a subscription to Score magazine the other day...  eventually had to fill the void while TPB was gone. ;)

Glad we're back.

markusp

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 9
« Reply #38 on: November 07, 2022, 08:16:39 pm »
Welcome back!!!

robbX

• Thank You
  • -Given: 0
  • -Receive: 8
« Reply #39 on: November 07, 2022, 08:17:40 pm »
Welcome back!! The best forum on the Internet, hands down!! 🥳

Indy

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1291
  • -Receive: 11322
« Reply #40 on: November 07, 2022, 08:49:21 pm »
Right now, we're testing if everything's still working Please be patient, but don't shy away from speaking up if you found something that isn't working. We'd love to know.

my friend Delphine is trying to make a new account , but have a "hacking attempt" message , could you help ?

thanks
If all is right, she can make an account now.
I want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live.

harrynak

• Thank You
  • -Given: 622
  • -Receive: 447
« Reply #41 on: November 07, 2022, 08:50:47 pm »
Thank you so much for all the work!

phlalawyer

• Thank You
  • -Given: 54
  • -Receive: 2151
« Reply #42 on: November 07, 2022, 09:51:34 pm »
LOL I just ordered a subscription to Score magazine the other day...  eventually had to fill the void while TPB was gone. ;)

Glad we're back.

What's a magazine?

UncleManuel

• Thank You
  • -Given: 2247
  • -Receive: 120
« Reply #43 on: November 07, 2022, 11:25:22 pm »
That's why we choose to do things differently: cost and legal reasons.
Thanks for elaborating on the circumstances. I always have wondered what was going on behind the scenes. 8)

And now:

HELL YEAH BROTHER!!! Welcome back on the Interwebs! TPB truely was missed all these past weeks. Thanks for all the hard work you guys put in to keep this beloved forum running. :D 8)
Boobs are great! ^^

My Avatar: Kelly Bell

IMT

• Thank You
  • -Given: 20
  • -Receive: 235
« Reply #44 on: November 08, 2022, 03:32:28 am »
Man... I missed this! Thanks for all the effort of putting this back!

Check out my AI thread: https://theperfectboobs.net/index.php?topic=85599.0

Tags: