Author Topic: Image security (added copy protection)  (Read 16077 times)

Indy

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1291
  • -Receive: 11322
Image security (added copy protection)
« on: January 16, 2012, 02:15:44 pm »
We've finally finished building an important security feature.
The images that our star members upload are now protected by an invisible watermark. This watermark is generated each time a user opens the image. It will contain the username, IP address and time when this image is stored. It's okay to save these pictures on your own harddisk, no problem, but you are not allowed to upload them anywhere else.
The username and IP can be retrieved by us through a custom built filter that's only accessible by us. If we find a picture online that came was posted by you, we will ban your account, and you won't be entitled for a refund.

We did not create this feature so we can act as a police officer. We've built this so that our Star Members can be sure that the picture they are posting will not spread around on the internet.
If our Star Members feel that their content is safe with us, they might feel better to share more content with our community, because it's protected.

Here's an example of image data we can extract from a stolen picture

This copy protection is completely custom built and invented by myself. We carry the copyright to this piece of software. If anyone's interested in using this, contact me.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2012, 02:19:07 pm by Indy »
I want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live.

Indy

• Administrator
  • Thank You
  • -Given: 1291
  • -Receive: 11322
Re: Image security (added copy protection)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2012, 01:13:54 am »
We've received word from another forum that allows image uploading to warn you about your privacy regarding Geotagging.
Where this is normally a valid warning, because yes, your exact location can sometimes be stored in the image that you upload.
Normally you'd have to disable all that stuff, but here's the good thing:

Our image uploader only copies the image and completely disregards the extra information, so it is removed automatically.
No need to worry here, your privacy is protected.
I want something good to die for, to make it beautiful to live.

Tags: